1. Say something about how to apply for radio pratique
a) Your shop’s particular and voyage briefs
b) Crewmembers’ health, cargo information and ship’s sanitary condition at present
c) Some certificate relating to quarantine inspection
When applying for radio pratique, the vessel should supply the ship’s particular and voyage briefs to the port authority, such as the name of the vessel and expected date and hour of her arrival; number of crew on board; crewmembers’ health condition and ship’s sanitary condition at present. State that there are no quarantinable disease has been found on the vessel, and all the crew are in good health.
Some certificate relating to quarantine inspection are:
1. Maritime health declaration; crew list;
2. Deratization certificate;
3. Clearance from the last port
4. International Certificate of vaccination
2. Describe the requirements on ship’s seaworthiness in terms of certificates and papers which need to be carried on board.
a) List major certificates on board and describe their particulars
b) Categorize those certificates (class certificates, statutory certificate)
c) The management of those certificates
The certificates and papers which need to be carried on board are:
1. Cargo ship safety construction certificate: Cargo ship safety construction certificate shows that the condition of the hull, machinery and equipment.
2. Cargo Ship Safety Equipment Certificate: Cargo Ship Safety Equipment Certificate shows that the condition of the life-saving appliances, such as lifeboats, life rafts, line-throwing appliance, portable radio apparatus for survival craft; fire-fighting appliance and fire control plans; echo-sounding device and gyro-compass, navigation lights and shapes, pilot ladder and means of making sound signals and distress signals.
3. Cargo ship safety radiotelephony certificate: Cargo ship safety radiotelephony certificate shows the functioning of portable radio apparatus for survival craft.
4. Cargo ship safety radiotelegraphy certificate: Cargo ship safety radiotelegraphy certificate shows the functioning of radiotelegraphy installation for lifeboats and portable radio apparatus for survival craft.
5. The International Convention on Load Line, 1966: The International Convention on Load Line shows that the freeboards have been assigned and the load lines have been marked for adequate reserve buoyancy to be preserved under even adverse weather conditions.
These certificates should be valid and kept on board..
3. Describe the shipboard customs formalities
a) The main duties of the customs officers.
b) Preparations before customs officers come on board
c) Your experience you have ever had with customs officers.
The main duties of the customs officers are:
1. Ask the captain to fill out the customs declaration form.
2. Check the crew list and Personal effects list.
3. Inquire cargo information and check the cargo documents, the import/export manifest; the kind and quantities of cargo on board;
4. Check the provisions list and the food supplies.
5. Check the store list and supplies
6. Seal ship’s bounded store
Preparations before customs officers come on board:
Before customs officers come on board, the captain should get ready all necessary cargo documents and forms and inform the crew about the customs regulation.
My experience with the customs officer is in good order and smooth.
4. Describe the shipboard immigration formalities.
a) The main duties of the immigration officer;
b) Preparations before immigration officers come on board;
c) Your experience you have ever had with immigration officers.
The main duties of the immigration officers are:
1. Require the copy of the crew list and check up the crew.
2. Inquire whether there is passenger on board or not.
3. Ask the captain to fill up the application form for shore passes and sign it.
Preparations before immigration officers come on board;
The captain should get the copies of the crew list and the seaman’s books ready for inspection.
I have passed immigration formalities on board all right.
5. Describe the shipboard quarantine formalities.
a) The main duties of the quarantine officer
b) Preparations before quarantine officers come on board.
c) Your experience you have ever had with quarantine officers.
The main duties of the quarantine officers are:
1. Require the copies of the crew and passenger list.
2. Check the Bill of Health and inoculation papers.
3. Check the crew vaccination certificates.
4. Inquire if there is any epidemic in the last port of call or if there are any patients on board at present?
5. Check the sanitary condition.
6. Check the De-ratting Certificate and rat guards mounted.
Preparations before quarantine officers come on board:
Before the quarantine officers come on board, the ship should get ready all preparation works, including the latest Bill of Health, crew list, the vaccination list and the yellow book.
My experience with quarantine officers is in good order and receive the pratique each time.
1. What’s the validity of the cargo ship safety equipment certificate?
l The validity of the cargo ship safety equipment is 5 years.
2. What flag should be hoisted when a vessel requires quarantine inspection?
l A yellow flag (Flag Q) should be hoisted.
3. Can a ship enter a foreign port before quarantine inspection?
l No, she can’t.
4. Why must the customs officer seal the bonded store?
l The reason that the customs officers seal the bonded store if for preventing smuggling.
5. Please list 5 ship’s certificates/
l 1. Certificate of vessel’s nationality
2. Cargo ship safety construction certificate
3. Cargo ship safety equipment certificate
4. Cargo ship safety radiotelephony certificate
5. Cargo ship safety radiotelegraphy certificate.
6. International load line certificate
6. Are cigarettes and liquor exempted form customs duties?
l No, they aren’t, Only the amount within the customs allowance is exempted from customs duties.
7. What can the captain do with the shore passes before leaving a port?
l The captain should return the shore passes to the immigration office before leaving a port.
8. Which certificate prescribes the general requirements for the function of radiotelegraphy installation for lifeboat on board?
l It is the cargo ship safety radiotelegraphy certificate.
9. Which certificate specifies the freeboard assignment of a ship？
l It is the International Load Line Certificate
10. Which document demonstrates a ship being in a fit and efficient condition and classed?
l It is the certificate of lass.
11. If the ship needs provisions and/or replenishment, how do you get them?
l I radio my agent to recommend a good ship chandler to come on board. After the ship chandler comes on board, I will discuss the price of the provisions with him and order them if the price is reasonable. After the chandler delivers the provisions ordered on board I will check the quality of the provisions and I will ask the agent to checkout with the ship chandler.
12. What document should you show when you go through the customs formalities?
l When going through the customs formalities I should show the Captain’s Declaration, Import Cargo Manifest, Crew List, last port Clearance, crew personal effects list, ship’s store and provisions list etc.
13. Who issues the shore passes to the crewmember wishing to go ashore?
l The immigration officer issues the shore passes to crewmember wishing to go ashore.
14. What documents should generally be shown to the quarantine offer?
Maritime health declaration; crew list;
Clearance from the last port
International Certificate of vaccination
15. What documents should generally be shown to the customs offer?
Customs declaration form.
Crew list and Personal effects list.
The import/export manifest
16. What documents should generally be shown to the immigration offer?
Crew list should generally be shown to the immigration offer.